(6084) Systems Software Specialist II (Technical)
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$5814.00 - $7642.00
Denise Middleton, (916) 323-6695
Information Systems Division
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 634
Sacramento, CA 95814
April 7, 2017
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - CN
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed application must include either ARF # 17-069 or Position #051-340-1393-903 in the job title section. Incomplete application packages will be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Scope of Position:
Under the general direction of a Data Processing Manager III, the Software Systems Specialist II (SSS II) will work with the Systems Software Specialist III (SSS III) to plan and develop the State Controller’s Office (SCO) Information Technology Architecture strategy. Participates on a matrix team of technical and business subject matter experts to identify and document SCO’s baseline architecture. Collaborates with others to research, evaluate (test) and recommend emerging technology architecture solutions. The SSS II must also possess technical knowledge and experience in enterprise architecture frameworks (methodologies), domains, and standards to guide the baseline creation. The SSS II is also responsible as the SCO’s Business Continuity Coordinator (BCC) ensuring the Business Continuity Plan is maintained on a semi-annual basis, coordinates recovery exercises and works with division BCC’s to ensure any issues are identified and resolved. Works with executive staff to coordinate the resumption of business operations in the event of a disruption of services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Participate on a matrix team of technical and business subject matter experts to identify SCO’s baseline architecture across all four domains - business, data, applications, and technology. Develop and maintain easy to use, automated processes to document the baseline architecture. Develop and maintain an online repository accessible by SCO staff and contract staff. Provide training and technical support for the online repository.
- Assists in the planning, development, and recommendation of an enterprise architecture strategy for SCO senior management. Research enterprise architecture framework at the California State level (other department enterprise architecture teams in operation), and the industry best practices as a basis for the strategy. Prepare the business case, mission, value, benefits; organization structure (number of positions, functions and classifications) and high-level implementation plan. Present plan to SCO senior management. Assist in facilitating the enterprise architecture program implementation.
- Educate and collaborate with the governance board members, business and technical leaders, fiscal staff, and project managers to use the baseline architecture and emerging technology options as a guide to prioritize, select, and fund new system proposals and services.
- Collaborates with the information technology solutions specialist(s) and service partners on technology and business trends and industry best practices. Use accredited firms to research these trends and practices to determine how best SCO’s business and technology visions can be achieved.
- Serve as the department’s Business Continuity Coordinator (BCC). Coordinate with the divisions’ representatives to update the department’s Business Continuity Plan. Coordinate the department’s recovery exercise with division representatives on a yearly basis. Ensures changes are made to the plan as a result of the exercise. Serve as the department’s Business Continuity Coordinator (BCC). Coordinate with the divisions’ representatives to update the department’s Business Continuity Plan. Coordinate the department’s recovery exercise with division representatives on a yearly basis. Ensures changes are made to the plan as a result of the exercise.
- Make necessary updates to the BCC as needed throughout the year and update management as changes are made. Works with senior management in implementation of BCC Should a disruption in business operations occur. Attend educational seminars to further gain expertise in the area of business continuity.