(6402) Staff Information Systems Analyst (Specialist) – 12 month Limited Term
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$5507.00 - $7242.00
Denise Middleton, (916) 323-6695
Information Systems Division
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 634
Sacramento, CA 95814
December 14, 2017
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - CN
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed application package must include either ARF # 18-074 or Position #051-340-1312-930 in the job title section. Application received without this information may be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Position may be extended for up to 24 months or become permanent at a later date.
Scope of Position:
Under general supervision of a Data Processing Manager II, Business Analysis Services Unit (BASU), the Staff Information Systems Analyst functions as an IT Business Analyst/Project Lead on SCO cross-functional teams performing activities related to the System Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Project Management Lifecycle (PMLC) and the CA Project Approval Lifecycle (PAL). The IT Business Analyst is a liaison to the SCO Program partners and Technology teams, effectively translating business needs into documented technical specifications. Independently and in collaboration with the cross-functional teams, the IT Business Analyst performs a variety of business systems analysis activities and serves as an advanced technical specialist in the SDLC activities regarding development, implementation, and support of SCO enterprise-wide complex information systems. The IT Business Analyst will identify project tasks and estimates to ensure completion of the PAL and SDLC deliverables within required timeframes. To support the responsibilities, must demonstrate expertise in business systems analysis techniques, SDLC and PMLC practices, knowledge of PAL and the CA-Project Management Framework (PMF), and an understanding of customer service concepts. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Function as the liaison between the business and technology teams on various SCO projects. As a project lead, collaborate with stakeholders and IT resources to define the scope and requirements, identify solutions, procure, and plan the implementation of the replacement product.
- Identify and develop the CA Project Approval Lifecycle (PAL) Stage Gate deliverables for the CalATERS Replacement project. Create work breakdown structures to organize the scope and content of deliverables for each Stage.
- Complete the business analysis deliverables utilizing best practices for approach and formats. Perform gap analysis and complex business process analysis to document business processes in relevant models and narrative formats. Lead business requirements elicitation sessions with IT and Program area resources to document business, functional and other software requirement specifications in applicable formats. Perform requirements management, conduct change control activities, and enforce requirements traceability to ensure that technical solutions satisfy the business objectives.
- Compile relevant technical documentation for as-is and to-be systems, such as data flow diagrams, interface file specifications, and system interfaces. Include enterprise/application architecture and information security requirements or recommendations in the to-be model.
- Independently and in collaboration with procurement experts, develop the content of Statements of Work (SOW) and procurement vehicles such as RFIs and RFPs. Develop evaluation criteria and assist with the formal review of responses to procurement requests. Complete assigned procurement tasks and coordinate input or deliverables needed from program areas.
- Collaborate with Program and technology staff, including vendors, to ensure quality of implementation. Identify appropriate testing strategies, test environments and test data. Identify tasks or content related to data conversion, training, and implementation. Provide assistance as needed with compiling implementation-related documents, such as Release notes, procedures, or training guides.
- Create work plans, prioritize and schedule tasks, and create/maintain project schedules in scheduling tools. Handle workloads of multiple priorities and adjust work plans in response to changes in priorities, schedules and/or resources. Produce work progress or project status information for meeting purposes and established reporting mechanisms.
- Facilitate communications, address conflicts, and take a customer-centric approach to problem-solving. Maintain effective working relationships, and work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Utilize standards found in the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge Guide (BABOK®), the CA-PMF (Project Management Framework) and other SCO or State guidelines.
- Maintain an awareness of emerging technology trends for computer, network, and internet systems; conduct market research on IT products and/or services that address business objectives. Perform feasibility studies/alternatives analysis; identify criteria and evaluation methodology to develop recommendation for solution. Compile alternatives analysis documentation.
- Maintain knowledge of business analysis and related methodology trends. Lead team members through knowledge transfer activities, such as structured training sessions or presentations.