Controller John Chiang's California Strong
California Strong helps connect families, communities and businesses to free workshops, seminars and events that will help them grow financially. Sign up here to receive notifications about future events.
Scam Stopper Seminars Offered In Partnership With the Contractors State License Board:
The Controller’s Office is proud to be a partner in the following free Senior Scam Stopper Seminars. Subject-matter experts will provide information about insurance, unclaimed property, identity theft, how to avoid fraud-related to home repair and more.
- Tuesday, July 29, 2014: Scotts Valley
Sen. Bill Monning, Assemblymember Mark Stone, the CSLB and the State Controller's Office are co-hosting this free event from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Oak Tree Villa, located at 100 Lockewood Lane. For more information and to RSVP, please call Oak Tree Villa at (831) 438-7533 .
- Friday, Aug. 1, 2014: Goleta
Assemblymember Das Williams, the CSLB and the State Controller's Office are co-hosting this free event from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Goleta Valley Community Center, located at 5679 Hollister Ave., Room 2. For more information and to RSVP, please call Assemblymember Williams' office at (805) 564-1649.
Tax Seminar for Nonprofits:
- Thursday, August 28, 2014: Tax Seminar for Nonprofits in Los Angeles
Controller John Chiang's Office is co-hosting a free seminar offering helpful tax compliance info for nonprofits. Topics will include compliance and reporting, sales and use taxes, fundraising and ways to avoid common filing and reporting errors. This event will take place in The California Endowment’s Yosemite Hall, located at 1000 N. Alameda St. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m., while the program runs from 9 a.m. to noon. Read more here. Sign up here. This event is co-hosted by the California Association of Nonprofits.
Watch Past Webinar Videos:
- The California State Controller’s Office, California Franchise Tax Board and California Employment Development Department teamed up for a webinar offering tax tips to the owners of small businesses on Jan. 10, 2013. Watch video of the webinar here, see a PDF of the presentation here, and read the transcript here.
- The California State Controller’s Office and the California Franchise Tax Board teamed up for a webinar on sole proprietorships and limited liability companies on Oct. 10, 2012. Watch video of the webinar here, see a PDF of the presentation here, and read the transcript here.