California State Controller's seal

Deceased Family Member/Next of Kin

  • When a departmental employee passes away prior to retirement and does not have a Designee/Beneficiary on file, California Department of Human Resources recommends the next of kin consult with an attorney, or other expert, to help them determine whether or not they may be entitled to the funds through a probate process or trust fund.  The next of kin may also consider filing a claim for the funds with the California Victim Compensation Board.
  • Family of deceased or next of kin should check Unclaimed Property to ensure family member does not have any unclaimed property within the State of California: