Whether you are budgeting to rent an apartment or saving to buy your first home, housing is a major investment. Do your homework to make the experience a positive one. Weigh the costs and benefits of buying versus renting, learn how to avoid scams, and always work with a responsible lender.
If you are struggling to find affordable rental housing in your community, or if your financial situation has changed since you bought your home and making payments has become a challenge, help is available. Federal, state, and local agencies offer mortgage assistance and rental subsidies.
- Get home-buying tips from the Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Path to Homeownership (English, Spanish, Chinese)
- Five easy steps to buying your first home (English, Spanish)
- Determine how much home you can afford
- Seek help to avoid foreclosure
- Get answers about Housing Choice rent subsidy vouchers
- Search affordable housing options by city or zip code